Lotus Integrative Medicine Santa Monica
Integrative Medicine Specialists located in Santa Monica, CA
At Lotus Integrative Medicine, which is located in Santa Monica, California, nutrition is an integral part of Dr. Brendan Armm’s extensive training as a Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. The majority of the patients he has helped over the years, in the Los Angeles area, receive nutritional support and recommendations along with their treatment plan, for most of whatever may ail them. In many cases, nutrition is a major factor in continued treatment.
Nutrition and Diet Q & A
Who Should See a Doctor About Nutrition?
There are many different people who might benefit from talking about their nutrition with a doctor. Most health concerns can benefit from improving one’s diet and nutrition. However, some particular types of people who should consider making a nutrition-related appointment with a skilled integrative health care provider include the following:
- People who are overweight or underweight, obese, or whose weight fluctuates drastically
- People who are suffering from physical and/or mental fatigue
- People with poor concentration and/or memory
- People with a weakened immune system (ie. frequent colds, allergies)
- Patients who suffer from digestive disorders
- Athletes who want to maximize their athletic performance
- People suffering from eating disorders
- People struggling with fertility issues
- Patients who have other medical conditions or take medications that impact what they can eat.
Does Health Insurance Cover Nutrition-Related Appointments?
In the state of California, all insurance companies are required to define some level of coverage for acupuncture. As a Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Dr. Brendan Armm incorporates nutritional advice as an element of his comprehensive visits and treatment. However, every health insurance company and policies within those companies can vary in how much they will cover. It is best to speak with your insurance company to find out their reimbursement coverage. Whether health insurance will cover nutrition-related doctor appointments depends on at least three factors:
- The terms and conditions of a patient’s insurance plan.
- The patient’s health conditions.
- The treatments being provided at the appointment.
Patients should talk with their insurance company to see whether nutrition-related doctor appointments are covered. If coverage is provided, patients should also check what requirements must be met to have an appointment covered.
How Can Doctors Help with Nutrition?
Doctors can help patients with nutrition in a variety of ways. Doctors are able to provide:
- Nutritional education and counseling
- Medically supervised diets
- Herbal remedies
Often, counseling, acupuncture, and herbal remedies can greatly help patients who are already interested in eating more nutritiously.
What Should Patients Interested in Nutrition Look for in a Doctor?
When looking for nutritional advice from a doctor, Los Angeles residents should first look for someone who is board-certified and licensed in California to practice acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Additionally, patients should seek out someone who can use natural remedies along with counseling and education to help patients eat healthier foods, which Dr. Brendan Armm can provide for you. Finally, people should look for a doctor whose practice is conveniently located, as doctors sometimes want to see patients on an ongoing basis to establish a patient-practitioner healing relationship to adopt healthier eating patterns. Going to a conveniently located doctor will make it easy to get to and from appointments.