Lotus Loves the Planet
Thanks to the help of Santa Monica’s Green Resource Center, which provides free information on creating greener spaces, Santa Monica’s Sustainable Works Program and so many of our friends and family we were able to build and sustain a greener health center for the people and the planet. Our office features:
- Bamboo floors, formaldehyde free
- Compact fluorescent lighting
- Low voltage track lighting
- No V.O.C. paints & grout sealer
- Eco-font used for general printing using 20% less ink
- Recycled paper products:
- Bathroom and facial tissues
- 100% recycled manila folders
- 100% post-consumer recycled printer/copier paper & business cards
- 100% recycled multifold towels
- Organic hand soap, lotion and alcohol hand sanitizer
- Sound Insulation, formaldehyde free
- Organic cotton pillowcases
- Organic cotton towels
- Organic and biodegradable feminine products
- Adhesive bandages – recycled/recyclable, water-based, not animal tested
- Bamboo blankets
- Organic herbs
- Reclaimed furniture
- Organic teas
- Only Non-Toxic cleaning products
- Low flush toilets
- Window treatment to insulate temperature
- The center features medicinal herbs and flowers that are grown locally.
- Pillows made from corn fibers
- Water filter, (10 Stage) – avoid trucking water
- Environmentally safe tile sealer
- Living plants – exchange oxygen and create a natural buffer from the street sounds and heat
- Organic potting soil
- 100% recycled paper gyp-board
- Storage boxes made of Flax
- Bio-Bags (non-GMO corn plastic) for trash bins as well as carry bags.
- Compostable cups for water and tea made from sugarcane fibers.
- Double paned windows above treatment rooms to allow for natural light and ventilation.
- Dimmer switches on dimmable lights
- Messages are accumulated and sent electronically instead of paper.
- Most of our printing is two-sided.
- Our computers are set to sleep mode instead of screensavers.
- Re-usable cups, utensils, etc. for staff.
- LED exit signs
- Encourage alternate modes of transportation (Info avail.)
- In the queue for replacing outside magazine bins for the bike rack.
- Books are available instead of magazine subscriptions in the reception area.
- Learning how to improve every day.
- Mindfulness in our steps.